When it comes to hanging baskets, it may be better for you to make your own, this way you can use the flowers, colours and styles that suit you, your garden and your needs. Making a hanging basket is not difficult to do, furthermore, it can be quite fun giving you a chance to experiment with colours and designs. Here you will learn how to make a hanging basket and some tips to ensure your baskets make an impact.
What do you need in order to make hanging flower baskets
Before you start designing your hanging basket you need to consider how big it is going to be…most people think the bigger the better as it will make more of an impact and will retain more moisture. Here is a list of everything you will need for the basket:
flowers or unplanted bulbs;
hangers or hooks;
wool basket lining;
water retaining gel.
Steps on making flower hanging baskets
- Line the basket with wool or moss,
- Cover the bottom and the sides of the basket and ensure you make sure the layer is quite thick to provide the plants with additional support.
- Make sure you water the plants and flowers before you start planting them into the hanging basket.
- Using the plastic from something like a compost bag, cut out circles proportionate to your hanging basket to use for the bottom of the basket to help retain some water.
- Half fill a bucket with some compost and add to this both a slow-release fertiliser and also a water-retaining gel (the containers of the fertiliser and gel should indicate how much you need to use) mix these into the compost thoroughly.
- Use this compost mix to fill only the bottom of the basket.
- Start planting your flowers, plants and hanging leaves, while you are planting keep adding compost to the hanging basket, along with lining around the plants to keep the compost in.
- Keep pushing down the compost to ensure the roots are firmly planted. Continue to add lining until it reaches the rim of the basket, but leave a gap when adding compost of about 25 mm from the rim of the basket.
- Make sure the compost has been firmed down properly. If there are any damaged plants or flowers try to tidy these up as much as possible.
- Water the hanging basket well, and check the compost regularly to make sure it hasn’t dried out and to remove any brown leaves or petals.
- Insert a plastic holder so the hanging basket does not leak, when watered.
Tips on making your flower hanging baskets
When designing your hanging basket consider having trailing plants to hang over the side of the basket. They can grow up to 3 foot long and would be stunning in the summer breeze.
Choose smaller flowers to plant in your basket, they will fit easier, especially if your basket is small and will quickly grow into the space they’ve been given.
Don’t put your basket outside too early, make sure the conditions outside are optimum for young, replanted flowers to grow healthy.
You should treat your hanging basket like you treat your garden, this means regular watering, trimming and tidying. Keep your hanging basket looking fresh and at its best.
Where to hang your basket?
Try to hang your basket somewhere it will be sheltered from harsh winds and rain, but will still get plenty of sunlight.
Place the basket by a window or door, so on a hot day you can open it to let the fragrance of the hanging basket into your home.
Hang the basket from a tree so it is not glaringly obvious and more of a nice surprise as people walk around your garden.
What would the water system be
It is a real time saver to think of modern ways in which your hanging baskets can be watered without the need for you to water them on your own. Most people use a hose to water their gardens and flowers or buy extremely expensive watering systems for their flower gardens. But is that really necessary?
Keep reading below to find out different ways in which to water your flower hanging baskets.
Soak your baskets into water from a bucket or a basin;
Try self-watering planters or make your own;
Make your dip irrigation;
To make your dip irrigation watering system you would need timers that have tabs or use a shut off valve with plastic tubes.
Flower hanging basket designs
The different design comes with the flowers you choose to plant and look after, hence the flowers are the ones bringing color and some feel to the environment. So, simply and most importantly choose the flowers you would like to look after - order them and expect the flower delivery.
Since you know what type of flowers you will be looking after, then you are supposed to know how big they grow and how big of a space their roots would need in order to bloom as expected.
These are your flower basket designs you can choose from:
Old Cooking Pot
It is up to you if you would wish to choose pots that get attached to the wall or ones that hang freely with hangers and hooks.
Modern colors for hanging flower
There are many modern colors for flower baskets, but white or black are not the ones for your gardens. Why? Because flowers are intended to have colors and to be more beautiful than ever. Of course, you can always prefer the traditional black and white style and you won’t go wrong, but keep reading below to find out what is modern this year.
Red flower hanging baskets
Red is the color of love, emotion, passion, devotion, warmth and so much more. What do we mean by red baskets? Well, we mean the red hanging baskets that you can buy red flowers OR the red basket itself.
Red hanging baskets are modern and go well with blue, beige, white, yellow.
Purple flower hanging baskets
Purple flowers and baskets can be dark purplish or lighter purplish, it all depends on your style and preferences.
Goes well with yellow, blue and white.
Throughout the years, purple flower hanging baskets have become more modern than ever. Their color means spirituality, vitality, calmness and royalty. It has become preferred amongst house owners more and more.
Yellow flower hanging baskets
Yellow flowers and baskets are a good combination with other colors. Most of the time people attach to their walls and paint yellow clay or concrete baskets with different colored flowers.
Yellow is the color of the sun, happiness, positivism and it is the perfect complimentary color to almost every kind of other style and colored hanging baskets! So, it is a must and many people do plant yellow flowers.
Pink flower hanging baskets
If you would have one flower that has so many soft and beautiful shades, then pink is your color! Pink is soft, symbolises health, innocence, cheerfulness, creativity and supports cancer research and movements!
Pink is the color you would always have with your hanging baskets. You can simply put only pink flowers and they will be enough!
That is why pink is and will always be modern and preferred!